ALL115a - Cultural Competence Health Care (1.0 HR)
This is the first part of a three-part series exploring cultures, ethnicities, age-appropriate care, and historical issues that affect the present health care climate. ALL115a covers cultural competency in health care, ALL115b highlights age-specific considerations in health care, and ALL115c addresses past and current issues of the health care industry, such as racism and discrimination, and how to respond as an individual and facility.
Purpose: Health care professionals working in any setting will increase their understanding and skills in providing optimal care to patients from diverse cultures and varying age groups.
- Define terms related to cultural competence;
- Understand the basic concepts of cultural diversity including values, world-view, communication and time orientation;
- Discuss cultural differences as they relate to the African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Bosnian, Hispanic, and Asian cultures;
- Discuss age-specific considerations including adolescent, adult and geriatric patients;
- Describe the process for developing cultural competency.
Continuing Education Credits: 1.5 contact hours Iowa BON #335; 1.5 contact hours CA Board of Nursing CEP 14033; 1.5 contact hours CE Broker # 50-4572 Florida and District of Columbia; 1.5 contact hours for Social Work State of Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. License No. 159.001315; 1.5 contact hours for Physical Therapy State of Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. License No. 216.000284; 1.5 contact hours for Occupational Therapy State of Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. License No. 224.000164; 1.5 CE hours for certified nursing assistants; long term care department heads; and other health care disciplines.